Search This Blog

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Endings

The feeling is less like an ending than just another starting point.
~ Chuck Palahniuk
- - - - -

I told Wayne that I thought there were two kinds of Student Affairs people: those who like fall and those who like spring.  I like spring.  Actually, fall is my favorite season, but for the purposes of this conversation, I like spring.  That is because I like the end of the year.  People used to say that was because I liked for the students to leave.

That is true.  Every year I am ready for them to leave, and I've always been ready for them to come back.

I just think the end of things is when you get to go back and think about what you accomplished.  The tasks are over and now the reflection on those tasks can start.  What went well?  What went poorly?  What will you do differently the next time?

Kind of like the rest of life.  Not that I'm saying I like when life is over.  Of course, maybe I will.  I can't say for sure right now.

What I mean is that I like the pauses where things shift and you have a moment to look back and think, "Wow.  I did that one thing really, really well."  Or, "Wow, I did that other thing really, really well."  Or, "I had almost forgotten how well I did that thing that one time."

Yes.  Reflecting on the past when you get to endings is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment