Search This Blog

Monday, September 14, 2009

Wood

The Emporer’s chief carpenter, Ch’ing, once made a music stand so perfect that all who saw it marveled. When Lu asked him to reveal the mystery of his art, Ch’ing demurred, saying: “No mystery, your Highness, though there is something. When I am about to make such a stand, I first reduce my mind to absolute quiet. Three days in this condition and I am oblivious to any reward to be agined. Five days, and I am oblivious to any fame to be acquired. Seven days, and I become unconscious of my four limbs and body. Then, with no thought of the Court in mind, all my skill concentrated and all disturbing elements gone, I go into the forest and search for a suitable tree. It contains the stand in my mind’s eye, and then I set to work.
~ Chuang-Tzu
-----
My dad can make anything out of wood. Also, my dad can beat up your dad. With his fire-shooting wooden robot, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment