Search This Blog

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Handrail

'Tis not enough to help the feeble up, but to support them after.
~ William Shakespeare
- - - - -

There are lots of kinds of handrails in life.  There are the literal ones.  They provide us balance going up or down steps or ramps.  There are...  well, mostly there are the literal ones.

I like to think that we each are a handrail to others, though.  Or have the potential to be.  We can offer stability, reassurance, confidence.  We can make navigating something difficult just a little bit easier for someone.  He can be there to lean on when someone needs a break or to give them the knowledge that the can move forward and someone will be there for them.

I just like to know when I'm serving as a handrail.  I don't like it when someone grabs me suddenly expecting me to steady them and be there for them.  Especially if we're on an icy sidewalk.  I don't want you to bring me down, buddy.  I'll be your, "Help you up after you fall on your butt," handrail instead of your, "Cushion my fall," handrail if you don't mind.  Besides, who wants to land on a handrail if you fall down?  That's not what we're for, my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment