Search This Blog

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Decisions

Soldiers can sometimes make decisions that are better than the orders they've been given.
~ Orson Scott Card
- - - - - -

It amazes me how some people like to make decisions without consulting and collaborating and gathering information.  I'm definitely not just talking about soldiers and military leaders here.  People assume they know best.  Some of us confuse position in the hierarchy with expertise or title with practical knowledge in given situations.  

I remember someone - maybe one of my brothers?  somebody...  anyway - was offered a job managing a movie theatre.  Whoever it was hadn't worked in a movie theatre before.  The person said that s/he would only take the job if s/he could spend time making popcorn and selling tickets and cleaning theaters.  The person said that s/he couldn't effectively manage the team of employees if s/he didn't know what their jobs entailed.

I wish it had been me who had said that.  I wish I was wise enough to have thought of it.

Also, I wish I could have worked in a movie theatre.  I would have liked to run the films.  And boss people around.