Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Good

The word "good" has many meanings.  For example, if a man were to shoot his grandmother at a range of 500 yards, I should call him a good shot, but not necessarily a good man.
~ G. K. Chesterton
- - - - -
I love this quote.  I think it gets at multiple truths and serves as a prompt for us to get at our own truths.  I have never shot my grandmother at 500 yards.  Truth be told, I have never tried to do that.  I won't belabor this point by going on and on about whether I have tried to shoot her at closer range or whether I have succeeded in shooting her at all.  That is irrelevant to the point of this blog.
So, "What is the point?" you ask?  I don't know why you ask that.  I am not where you are and can't hear you.  And if you just read on, you can get a sense of what the point of this post is.  IF there IS a point.
My point is...  I think honesty is a good practice.  Good people are honest in good ways and dishonest in ways with good intentions.  While the road to hell may be paved with good intentions, at least it's paved.


No comments:

Post a Comment