Search This Blog

Monday, November 19, 2018

Log

The ideal college is Mark Hopkins on one end of a log and a student on the other.
~ James A. Garfield
- - - - -

Wow.  So I just did a little research because I was wondering where "log" or "log book" comes from.  I saw this photo of a tree wedged in a tree and thought of logs and thought of log books.  I guess it has something to do with boats.  You can do this thing where you have a log attached to a rope and you drop it in the water and boat away and if you know how to do the 'rithmetic, you can figure out how fast you're going and write it in your logbook.  Then you can go back and read it later.

I imagine you can do this - again if you know the math - if you're driving, as well.  However, expect some trouble if you throw a log on a rope out of your car window.  Some people don't understand the old ways of the old days and will probably have a conniption fit about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment