Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Lonely

Writing is a lonely occupation at best. Of course there are stimulating and even happy associations with friends and colleagues, but during the actual work of creation the writer cuts himself off  from all others and confronts his subject alone. He moves into a realm where he has never been before -- perhaps no one has ever been. It is a lonely place, even a little frightening.
~ Rachel Carson
- - - - - -

I have rarely felt lonely. I don't think I feel lonely when I write. I might feel alone or isolated, but those are different to me. 

I'm more likely to feel frustrated - at least if the writing isn't going well. Or euphoric - at least if the writing is going well.

Of course I don't have anyone to share that with when I'm writing. 

I just had an idea for a series of books. They are about a park ranger named Lee. Lee works in isolation most of the time and maybe talks to trees or animals. I don't have the details figured out yet. Just the title of the first book. The Lone Lee Ranger.

(pause)

I don't know that I'll find a publisher for that series.

No comments:

Post a Comment