Search This Blog

Thursday, February 6, 2020

Thoughts

We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.
~ Buddha
- - - - -

A while back, Leslie came into the office where I was working to share a story with me. Here it is...

Leslie: I just realized something.

Me: What?

Leslie: I got a notification the other day about Kirk's birthday. It said it was from M and I was annoyed because I knew it was Kirk's birthday and I didn't need reminding. The last one of those notifications I got was from you about Jared's birthday -- which I also knew about. Today I got one about my friend Steph's birthday and you aren't even friends with her, so I didn't know how you knew and why you reminded me. Then I realized it wasn't you. It was "M" a reminder thing on Facebook.

Me: So you thought I was an idiot.

Leslie: I didn't say that out loud. I didn't even tell you about it because it sounded unkind.

Me: I think you should apologize for it.

Leslie: Apologize? No. I didn't say it. I just thought it.

Me: That doesn't make me feel better. You're going around annoyed with me and thinking I'm a doofus and not talking to me about it.

Leslie: Right. I didn't want to say anything because I didn't want to be unkind.

Me: But if it had been true, I could have changed my behavior to be less annoying...  But it wasn't true.

Leslie: Right. Isn't that good that I didn't say anything?

Me: No ---

Leslie: I didn't even have to tell you this story, but I am.

Me: The story of you thinking I was an annoying idiot.

Leslie: You're welcome. See? You never know (pointing to her own head) what's going on in here!

Me: That is not reassuring.

Leslie: You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment