Search This Blog

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Copy

Good artists copy.  Great artists steal.
~ Pablo Picasso
- - - - -

Last year on New Year's Eve I posted something on Facebook about my year.  I ended it saying "There are years that give and years that take."  I looked and looked and looked to see where I had heard that quote.  I couldn't find it.  I didn't think I made it up.  I kind of hoped I had since it seemed rather deep and reflective.  

As I was working on a post for the blog, I came across this quotation: 

"There are years that ask questions and years that answer."

It was written by Zora Neale Hurston.

So I was close.  I was close to getting the quote right.  I was close in thinking I had heard it before.

And if I have to draw from some source of inspiration...  I don't mind drawing from Zora.  I really like her.

It wasn't plagiarism, though.  What I wrote was different.  Close, but different.

It was more like playgiarism.

No comments:

Post a Comment