Search This Blog

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Writing

After nourishment, shelter and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.
~ Philip Pullman
- - - - -

So writing is part of what I do for my job. For me academic writing and creative writing are very similar. In both cases you get stuck sometimes.

The other day I was working on a manuscript for a journal and I had a very productive day. I got a lot done and was feeling really good about what I had done, that I had stopped when the time was right to stop, and that I was at a place where I could easily pick up the next day.

And then the next day came. I wrote about four paragraphs in two hours. And they weren't even particularly good paragraphs.

Writing is kind of like fortune cookies. You have high hopes and sometimes they give you what you were wanting or needing. Other times you are disappointed.

Which is also like people.

And pets.

And eating out at restaurants.

And maybe everything else. I think I just uncovered a universal truth:

Sometimes things disappoint you and sometimes they don't!

(pause)

I think maybe a lot of people knew this before I discovered it just now.

My blog posts are also a part of this universal truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment