Search This Blog

Thursday, September 3, 2020

Books

A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.
 ~ C. S. Lewis
- - - - -

I admire Leslie a lot. When she and I went into social isolation lockdown, she decided she would start reading stories to Ezra and Aurora. Most of the money we spent during the pandemic has been on children's books. Now, I have always wanted a great library of children's books, so I've been all for this.

I just am amazed at the ways she shows care for other people in a crisis. She does stories for the grandkids, plays Bingo with her mom, schedules time to check in with friends. And she lets me pretend to be the boss of us when we both know that isn't the case at all.

The only downside is that when I am filming her reading the stories, sometimes I start to fall asleep. It feels like bedtime stories and so I get sleepy.

I'd maybe be more critical of myself for that, but I think sometimes Leslie listens to her stories as her own bedtime stories so she can fall asleep, too. 

I need to remind her to add "reading bedtime stories really, really well" to her CV. 

No comments:

Post a Comment