Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2022

Dog

I had never realized it before, but the nose is to the mind of a dog what the eye is to the mind of a seeing man. Dogs perceive the scent of a man moving as men perceive his vision.
~ H. G. Wells
- - - - -

The past few times when I've dropped Lily off at a daycare, she wants to take a small detour to the dog potty area outside. She sniffs and sniffs and sniffs. I know that the ability of a dog to smell something is like 60 times more powerful than our ability to smell things. I realized that maybe each dog's pee smells a bit different and that maybe Lily can tell which of the dogs has been outside before she's gotten to daycare.

Then I realized - if all of that is true - maybe dogs smelling each other's pee is like us scrolling through social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment