Search This Blog

Friday, May 1, 2020

Ships

I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship.
~ Louisa May Alcott
- - - - -

I once did a presentation and shared this quote. I used it as an example of facing difficult times and affording ourselves grace around our mistakes. A person in the audience (someone I knew and with whom I was bonded by our mutual dislike of one another) argued with me. She said sometimes storms sink ships.

I paused for a moment and then said, "You're right. We should be afraid of storms." Then she argued with that. Later in the presentation, she asked if she could ask a question. I said, "No." I often do this for comedic effect. It was not comedic.

And maybe I didn't mean it to be. 

Anyway, she works for Semester at Sea now.

(pause)

Not really, but wouldn't that be a great end to this story?

No comments:

Post a Comment