Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Love

Love is the joy of the good, the wonder of the wise, the amazement of the Gods.
~ Plato
- - - - -

When I was looking up a quote for love, I found that most of the quotes fall into two categories: "Love is good," or "Love is for idiots."  I suppose it just depends.  

So then I tried to get a context from the Greeks and Romans.  Aphrodite / Venus is the goddess of love, fertility, vegetation, and the sea.  And beauty.  And desire.  Eros / Cupid - may have been the son of Aphrodite and Ares (god of war), or may have been a primordial god.  Regardless, he is god of love and sexual desire.  I guess he took after his mom.

Still looking for more information, I tried looking up St. Valentine.  Apparently, there are 14 saints Valentine.  Valentine meaning from valence (valiant) "worthy" or "strong" or "capacity" or "powerful."  One thing I found particularly interesting is that in the Eastern Orthodox church St. Valentine's Day is celebrated on July 6th.  Which is my birthday.

So, it really is all about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment