Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Fairness

Live so that when your children think of fairness, caring, and integrity, they think of you.
~ H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- - - - -

So this is the skateboard I had as a kid. My dad used his soldering iron to carve my name into it. It's because Erik and I had the same skateboards. He did the same to Erik's only he put "Erik" instead of "Chelle" so we could tell them apart.

Then I broke my leg while riding the skateboard. I may have hit a crack in the sidewalk. I might have been trying to do a wheelie on it. It could have been anything. My parents used to call me "Grace" when I was growing up. They did that ironically.

Anyway, we got our skateboards taken away after that. Both of us. Erik didn't think that was fair.

He fell out of a tree and broke his arm. They didn't take away all of our trees after that.

I guess he was probably right.

Also, my parents used to say, "Life isn't fair." I guess this is one example of a way they tried to teach us that. Well done, parents. Well done.

(Much later...)
Um. So this posted and I re-read it. I didn't break my leg. I broke my arm. I guess that compromises my integrity. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment