Search This Blog

Thursday, February 15, 2024

Conversation





Being a father is the single greatest feeling on earth. Not including those wonderful years I spent without a child, of course.
~ Ryan Reynolds
- - - - -

A Conversation

Zak: Papa, can I ask you something?

Kirk: That depends. What is it?

Zak: Well, I was wondering if I could take the little gardening cart Grandma Boettcher has and drive it off the deck like a stunt person in the movies.

Kirk: (long silent pause)

Zak: (stares at Papa hopefully)

Kirk: What do you think I'm going to say to that, Zak?

Zak: (pauses) I should ask Grandma Boettcher if it's okay?

Kirk: (long pause)

Zak: Hm. Okay. I guess I'm not doing that dream.

Kirk: Zak, come here and sit down for a minute.

Zak: (gets on Kirk's lap)

Kirk: Why do you think I don't want to let you do that, Zak?

Zak: Because your job as a parent is to kill my dreams?

Kirk: (long pause, looks at me as if to say, "See what I have to deal with? Or maybe as if to say, "WHY. ARE. YOU. TAKING. PICTURES?")

Zak: I'm just kidding, Papa. You love me and you don't want me to get hurt.

Kirk: (laughing with relief) That's right, Zak-y. I love you so much.

Zak: How about if we each get ourselves a donut instead. 

Kirk: That's a great idea, bud.

Zak: I love you, Papa.

Kirk: Ohhhhh... I love you, too, Zak.

Zak: (whispering) And I love donuts. 

Kirk: What was that, buddy?

Zak: I love you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment