Search This Blog

Sunday, December 23, 2018

Nick's

There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy, and the tired.
~ Nick Carraway 
(The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald)
- - - - -

Did you know that Santa... St. Nick... Saint Nicholas - who was Greek - was also known as Nikolaos the Wonderworker?

He was.

I bet if he was alive today he'd be surprised at how much people use his image all over the place and how people dress up like he probably never dressed up, but then pretend to be him.

I also read that Martin Luther tried to replace Santa Claus with Baby Jesus as the bearer of gifts. In German - "Christkindl." Later that got transformed into Kris Kringle - another name for Santa Claus. 

Now that I think about it, I be the Christ Child is pretty surprised at how much people use His image all over the place, too. I don't think He is all that much into self-promotion. Of course, I'm just speculating. I wasn't around then. I don't know for sure.

Except that I do know pretty much for sure. 

On a very loosely related note, I think that in the off-season Santa would make a great bar owner / bartender. 

No comments:

Post a Comment