Search This Blog

Thursday, December 7, 2023

Hanukkah

The proper response, as Hanukkah teaches, is not to curse the darkness but to light a candle.   

~ Irving Greenberg

- - - - -

My nephew Zak is one of my favorite people. Last year when I visited him just before Hanukkah, we went out for tacos. At the taco place (Bird & Co. in Portland, ME - I highly recommend), there was a woman from Temple that Kirk knew. She taught Zak how to say "Hanukkah" in sign language. 

A few days later we were taking Zak to school. It was cold out, but we bundled up, and Kirk, Jared, Zak, and I piled in the car. Jared had been out of town, so Kirk said, "Oh, Zak! Show us how you learned to sign the word "Hanukkah" since Papa wasn't there." 

Zak smiled and held up his hands and signed the word perfectly. Or so I assume. He moved his hands correctly, but it's hard to tell if he was signing exactly right since he was wearing mittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment