Search This Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Bikes

Tens of thousands who could never afford to own, feed and stable a horse,
had by this bright invention enjoyed the swiftness of motion which
is perhaps the most fascinating feature of material life.
~Frances Willard, How I Learned to Ride the Bicycle
- - - - -

So, Elizabeth saved up for a new bike which she purchased at the end of December. She has had a couple of decent days to ride it, but has only ridden it once because she doesn't want it to get dirty.

The photo above shows her on a previous bike she owned. Unfortunately, it was stolen (one of the perils of owning a bike when you live in a residence halls — the others being that it's tough to bike safely in a residence hall parking lot and disruptive student behaviors like when they put the baseball cards of players you don't like in the spokes of your bike wheels).

It is good that Elizabeth has grown up and learned to be responsible and save for things she wants (like a $600 Townie bicycle). It is also good that she has learned to dress herself because I think that we may have put her bike helmet on her backwards in the photo above.

2 comments:

  1. I've got a Townie myself. Nice bike. She chose wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle I love your blog so much. It never fails to make me smile.

    I had 2 bikes stolen when I lived in the residence halls. But I can't believe that Elizabeth's got taken too... that's really too bad. :(

    ReplyDelete