Search This Blog

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Marketing

No great marketing decisions have ever been made on quantitative data.
~ John Scully
- - - - -

I really do think that I should have gone into marketing.  I have great ideas all the time for different companies.  For example, a while back I had the following ideas for the Dodge Caravan.

The first is a commercial with a woman putting on her makeup.  She is safely pulled over on the side of the road or maybe she's in her driveway.  It could be about the flexibility or accessories of the vehicle, how quiet it is, or the way you can escape the rest of the world for just a few moments when the rest of life is in chaos.  The tagline is, "Mascaravan."

The other one I had for the same product and the same series of ads has a family going on vacation.  To the van are attached things like bikes, canoes, skis, camping equipment, whatever.  The family is singing some song and driving down the road.  The tagline for that is "Dontcaravan" or "we don't have a care-avan."  

I haven't figured out the technical parts of it, but I work in creative.  I leave those details to the others.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so the family is heading out for an annual family tradition...in their Iowa State Fairavan. :-)

    Then there's the 16 yo who tries to be sneaky picking up the van keys off the counter as he heads out the door and mom gives him the look of "Don't you dare-avan".

    If they use one as transport for a Broadway show cast it could be the "Hair-avan".

    I won't even write out the back story for the obvious one: Nascaravan

    So, hey, thanks for making me think when it's after midnight and I should be asleep but will probably lay awake for yet another hour because I can't stop thinking about a stupid vehicle. But I'm guessing you don't really Care-avan.

    Jodi W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe you can get michelle (she's michelle, you're michelle) bachmann to do the mascaravan ad - i saw her recent Newsweek cover and think she'd be absolutely perfect.

    other than that, these remind me of some ideas i pitched to a t.v. producer for new reality shows:

    1.) quack docs ordinary people performing surgery

    2.) near miss ordinary people as air traffic controllers in some of the world's busiest airports.

    funnily enough, she didn't go for them...

    ReplyDelete