Search This Blog

Monday, July 4, 2016

Freedom

We must be free not because we claim freedom, 
but because we practice it.
~ William Faulkner
- - - - -

Last Fourth of July it was Leslie and Granny and me.  I had been wanting to try out a rib recipe and so I did.  Originally, I thought David and Michael would be there too, but they had to go get some of David and Natalie's stuff from North Carolina.

Anyway, I posted this photo on Facebook and tagged the two of them and said basically that Granny was going to eat all the ribs and there wouldn't be any left.  They were good ribs.  Since they took about two days to prepare, they should have been good.  And we had Leslie's deviled eggs, baked beans, watermelon margaritas, potato chips and I think Granny had a bowl of watermelon.

That evening we went to see fireworks.  It took us a while to find a good parking place to see them, but eventually we did.  Then Granny fell asleep during the fireworks.  In her defense, it was about the time she usually falls asleep in front of her TV at home.

On the drive back to the house, Granny said, "This is what the Fourth of July is all about.  Fireworks and picnics with good food."  

I said, "I thought it was about freedom."

She paused, then said, "Freedom first.  Then ribs."

No comments:

Post a Comment