Search This Blog

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Prayer

I am unable to believe in a God susceptible to prayer. I simply haven't the nerve to imagine a being, a force, a cause which keeps the planets revolving in their orbits, and then suddenly stops in order to give me a bicycle with three speeds.
~ Quentin Crisp
- - - - -

Leslie was trying to figure out when to next go and visit her mom. She said, "I guess I'll have to pray on it."

I laughed.

She said, "Why are you making fun of me?"

I said, "You don't seriously pray on anything!"

Leslie responded, "How do you know?"

I realized I had misspoken. "I'm sorry. Maybe you seriously pray on things all the time."

Leslie: I pray every day.

Me: Oh. That's good. I'm glad then.

Leslie: I just don't think you should pray for Army to beat Navy.

Me: Especially if you go to the Naval Academy.

Leslie: Good point.

As a result of this conversation, I suspect God is one again head shaking saying, "Michelle has no idea what is going on."

Which is true. I don't. I like guessing, though.

1 comment: