Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2010

Architecture



But I absolutely believe that architecture is a social activity that has to do with some sort of communication or places of interaction, and that to change the environment is to change behaviour.

~ Thom Mayne


-----


If I were starting college today as a new student, I would study architecture. I never considered it until I was in my master's program. I wish I had.


I don't try to pressure the girls into any certain careers, but I have encouraged Maddie's interest in architecture. I assume she will do something art-related, so why not ARchitecTure?


Anyway, I also encourage the girls to think practically about their career choices. If they want to fly first class every time they travel, they need to choose a career that can support that.


Last summer, Maddie and I were shopping and she made the following observation while looking at tank tops in some store:

"I can't wait until I'm an architect and can afford - like - four of those a day and still have money left over!"

1 comment:

  1. i hate to tell you, but there are very, very few rich architects...

    ReplyDelete