Search This Blog

Friday, November 5, 2010

Strong

The weak can never forgive.
Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
~ Mohandas Gandhi
- - - - -

Maddie is very strong. I mean she's strong physically because she swims about 19 hours a day (or so it seems). What I really mean, though, is that she's strong mentally and emotionally. Otherwise, how could she possibly survive her sister? Elizabeth is clearly an oldest child who was born too late. Maddie was an only child who accidentally got a younger sister.

Now that I think about it, I think I'm an only child who accidentally got younger brothers, too. I wonder if all oldests feel that way? It could be a research study! But not one that I want to do. I don't really care that much. As an oldest, I know I'm right without any data to back it up...

2 comments:

  1. Renae is both an only child who got stuck with a younger brother AND a stereotypical first child.

    I read a book once about girls relationships with their Dad's and in one chapter he mentioned when he does conferences he always mentions a movie that should have received 5 stars but only received 1 star . . . "Three Amigos." Without a doubt almost all the men in the room laugh along with him because they love that movie. (I love it too!) Then he has the women in the room stand up who also like that movie (like 5% . . .. the rest of the women just rolled their eyes) And he asks them what order they are in the birth order. Almost all are first children who have a great relationship with their Dad, or girls who only have brothers. they say us girls that only have brothers relate easier to guys and are more likely to enjoy movies like this.


    I always take this to mean that you and I are the very best types of women. Duh. Like we didn't already know we were awesome . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was blissfully an only child 'til the age of 5 and a half. just long enough to get good and used to it. the world hasn't been the same since my sister came along...

    ReplyDelete