Search This Blog

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Flowers


Earth laughs in flowers.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- - - - -

When I told Ginny that I hated marigolds, but I was growing them to try and keep the rabbits away from our tulips and hostas, she asked me why I hate marigolds. I told her I hate the smell. Then I told her I was growing white ones instead of the red-orange-yellow ones. She said, "Those probably don't smell as much."

At first I thought she was being supportive of my loathing of the way marigolds smell, but then I realized that she was actually undermining my rabbit-deterrent plan.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, that's funny because I HATE marigolds, too, but planted them in my square foot garden last year to keep the rabbits away. I hate the way they smell. When I was a kid my mom always had a huge plot of them at the bottom of the back deck steps and I hated going to play in the backyard because I'd have to go by those stinky red/yellow/orange excuses for flowers. So last year what did I do? I got white ones. I only planted them in strategic locations and I'm happy to tell you that while I'm not sure if they worked as rabbit repellent, I don't recall smelling them at all. :-) I didn't stick my nose too close to them, either...just in case. (And they grew HUGE.)

    (This is Jodi Whisler - why won't they give me FB as a sign in option on here? Get to work on that, would ya?)

    ReplyDelete