Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sacks

A fact is like a sack - it won't stand up if it's empty. To make it stand up, first you have to put in it all the reasons and feelings that caused it in the first place.
~ Luigi Pirandello
- - - - -

The grocery bagging drama continues for my friend Ryan.  The other day he asked for paper and as much as possible into the paper sack.  He said it twice thinking it would matter if he made it very clear.  The checker heard him and he repeated it to the bagger when the bagger arrived.  The bagger then put items in a plastic bag, put the plastic bag in the bottom of the paper bag and covered the plastic bagged items with other items.

Then this evening, Ryan called and we had the following exchange.

Phone rings.

Michelle:  Hello?

Ryan:  So, if you were to bag 1 jar of salsa, 2 bags of shredded cheese, 1 quart of soy milk, and a box of eggo waffles, how would you put those items in a single paper bag with handles so as to put as many items as possible into as few bags as possible?

(I paused, considering what response would most enrage my friend)

Michelle:  I would probably put each item into an individual paper bag and then tie the handles of all the paper bags together with as many plastic bags as possible.

Ryan:  (laughing, but ignoring my response)  Would you put the two packages of cheese in the bottom of the bag and pile the other items on top of the cheese?

Michelle:  No.  I would probably put in the salsa and milk first —

Ryan:  Interesting.

Michelle:  And after doing that I feel that I could probably stand the other items vertically so that no item had to sit on any other item.

Ryan:  Exactly!

What I didn't say to Ryan is that I hope he doesn't invite me over for a brunch of eggo waffle quesadillas.

1 comment:

  1. If you really want to get to them, bring your own bags. They really get flustered. If I'm feeling overly aggravating, I'll also bring cooler bags for the cold stuff. Apparently, baggers think cold cereal should be kept cold.

    ReplyDelete