Search This Blog

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Dickinson


Find ecstasy in life; the mere sense of living is joy enough.
~ Emily Dickinson
- - - - -


When you go for a hike and you discover a drying up creekbed full of frogs and you take a lot of pictures of the frogs, you know you're bound to do some writing about frogs.  I could make some joke about a "frog blog," but I won't do that.  It would be too obvious, and probably not that funny.  

Instead, I will quote Emily Dickinson:

I'm nobody.  Who are you?
Are you nobody, too?
Then there's a pair of us, don't tell.
They'd banish us, you know.

How boring to be somebody -
like some kind of frog
To work on the railroad all the live long day 
in a something fog.

Okay.  I wrote that without actually looking at the poem.  I know it goes something like that.  You wait here and I'll go look up how it really goes.

Found it.  Here it is:

I'm Nobody! Who are you?
Are you – Nobody – too?
Then there's a pair of us!
Don't tell! they'd advertise – you know!

How dreary – to be – Somebody!
How public – like a Frog –  
To tell one's name – the livelong June –  
To an admiring Bog!

Okay, it was pretty close.  

If I got to have some kind of land admire me, I'm not sure I'd choose a bog.  I think I'd choose the ocean.  Or a mountain.  Or maybe Mount Rushmore because it would be cool to have four presidents admire you.

No comments:

Post a Comment