Search This Blog

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Communication

Any problem, big or small, within a family, always seems to start 
with bad communication. Someone isn't listening.
~ Emma Thompson
- - - - -

The following is an exchange between my father and I.  My dad can make anything out of wood.  I had written to ask if he would make me a thing to go on a desk (a hutch, if you will) when I got one, but that I didn't yet have a desk.  

His comments are in black.  Mine are in blue. 


I think I could build something like that.  Good.  Would you want it the full width of the desk?  I am not sure.  How wide is the desk?  I don’t know, yet because I haven’t gotten a desk yet.  I’m going to look at one tonight, though.  If you could draw a picture with dimensions I could give it a try.  I will do that when I have a desk.  If you want to draw in the the drawers you want, I could make them too.  Okay.  I already have a couple that I would like to use.  I saw this thing where someone just bought old drawers and then made a cabinet to hold them.  They were all mismatched and it looked really cool.  Maybe we can mix and match yours and ones I have / find.  I made the drawers in our bathroom vanity and I don't think they look too bad.  I have seen them.  They don’t look bad.  You are correct.   What kind of wood would you want it made from?  I am not sure, but will let you know when I find a desk.  Pine would be cheaper and lighter weight and could be stained, but oak or one of the hard woods would probably look better and they could also be stained to match the desk.  I will let you know when I find a desk.  Would you put the finish ( stain, polyurathane, etc ) on it or want me to?  Either way.  Depends on when I find a desk and what else is going on at work / in my dissertation stuff.

  It would take a while.  That is fine.  I don't put in very long days in the basement anymore.  Good.  You are old.  And tired.  I will attach a picture of a TV stand I made for Sheri several years ago.  It has no drawers, but will give you an idea of what oak can look like.  You understand that I want drawers, though, right?  This is with walnut stain.  Okay.  That might look good depending on what kind of desk I find.  Oak is much lighter if finished just with polyurathane.  That might match better depending on what kind of desk I find.

No comments:

Post a Comment