Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Road

When within yourself you find the road, the right road will open.
~ Dejan Stojanovic
- - - - -

On a recent road trip Leslie and I were talking about landscapes and roads and driving and traveling. We were somewhere in the mountains of North Carolina or maybe Tennessee. She said that she always felt more comfortable with mountains on the horizon - maybe even better if she was actually in the mountains. 

I am not like that. I prefer the plains. I like open landscapes disrupted only by occasional trees or houses or silos or windmills or cemeteries. The evenness of a field of corn or soybeans is what I grew up with. I like being able to see the next town or see when someone is approaching you.

I know that is terribly boring to some people. I do like changes of scenery, but I do like levelness, as well. There is a sense of calm and awareness that gets disrupted when you throw in mountains or skyscrapers or giant robots fighting enormous dragons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment