Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Art


To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.
~ Joseph Chilton Pearce
- - - - -

The above is a photo of a drawing I made of Elizabeth.  Apparently she spilled something on the floor. You can see the remorse on her face.

What is more interesting than the spill, is her "hat."  You can't probably tell this from my sketch, but that is a shower cap she has on.  She is wearing it because Chris had just treated her for head lice and we read somewhere that if you put a bunch of hair gel on and then wear a shower cap, the head lice suffocate.

I, apparently, was so moved by all of this that I captured it in my art.

If that is the great tragedy that inspires me in the way that great artists are inspired, it explains two things. First, that I must have a pretty good life because in the scheme of great tragedies, a kid having head lice is not the greatest tragedy.

Second, if great art is inspired by great tragedy, then this is clearly mediocre art inspired by — is there such a thing as a "mediocre tragedy?"

No comments:

Post a Comment