Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2011

Floods

What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?
~ Buddha
- - - - -

Yesterday I drove around for a while, found a quiet place to sit and reflect and think, and then drove home.  Unfortunately, on the way home the weather started getting rough.  I was distracted (as I easily am sometimes) by the clouds and the lightning and the flooding.  I got turned around.  

I stopped twice to ask directions.  My cell phone was dead (and I hadn't remembered to bring a charger) so I couldn't use the GPS and, while we had a map in the glove compartment, it was a map of Illinois.  I was lost, but I was confident I was still in the state of Iowa.

So, the second time I stopped to ask for directions to I-80, the woman said, "Well, you just go out on that road there and keep going north, but there are some low points and the cricks flood.  I don't know if you can even get through!  And there hasn't been a cop in for me to ask!  Sorry.  I don't know what else to tell you.  You might be flooded in!"

That was disconcerting.

It turns out I wasn't flooded in.  

Choose the moral of the story that most suits you:

a. Be prepared.
b. There's never a cop around when you need one.
c. Thunder in the morning, all day storming.  Thunder at night, travelers delight.
d. You can't judge a book by its cover.
e. A wolf in sheep's clothing.

1 comment:

  1. I select option f: Regularly visit your chiropractor so you don't have to worry about cricks - in your neck or otherwise.

    ReplyDelete