Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Defensive

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
~ Harry S. Truman
- - - - -

So, yesterday I defended my capstone.  I passed.  I am now a doctoral CANDIDATE.  According to:  "Etymologically Speaking" (http://www.westegg.com/etymology/) this word comes from the Latin candidus which means "bright, shining, glistening white."  I happen to think that it comes from the combination of the words candy and date.  Yesterday, Dr. Ryan Evely Gildersleeve brought candy on the date of my defense.  I think that is because he concurs with my understanding of the origin of the word candidate.  And because he knows that Skittles induce a sugar high that is helpful to your committee when you are doing a capstone defense right after lunch.

Anyway, as I was finishing up my conversation with my co-chairs, Dr. Ryan Evely Gildersleeve and Dr. Ann M Gansemer-Topf, I suddenly remembered a dream I had the night before...  Somehow I was in the ocean. I was on a dock or a boat or something that flipped. Then there were these big air pockets under water called "the buffalo." If you were in one, you could keep breathing until you got to the surface. That happened to me 2-3 times, but every time I was able to get in "the buffalo."  I would panic a little, but then I'd make it to the surface and be okay. 

They mystery is: What could this dream have possibly represented?

1 comment:

  1. Buffalo's are your 'safe place'? Psychology tells us that you need to be your own safe place. I think it's time to let the buffalo roam free. Or float, as the case may be. I mean really, what are your chances of finding a buffalo in Ames when you really want one, anyway?

    ReplyDelete