Search This Blog

Friday, October 26, 2012

Hero

A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- - - - -

When I was a kid we went to Brainerd, MN which is one of the alleged homes of Paul Bunyan.  The photo above is not of that place.  It is a roadside attraction on HWY 69 between Ames and Rake, IA.  I like seeing these kinds of things, but I wouldn't want to be the neighbor to them.

Anyway, I liked the Paul Bunyan stories.  I like the fact that we mythologize our struggles - John Henry: Man versus Machine.  Or Man versus Nature - Paul Bunyan.  Or Old Stormalong: Man versus Water.  Ichabod Crane: Man versus Pumpkin.  Johnny Appleseed: Man versus Fiber Deficiency.

I wonder if Paul Bunyan ever sang, "I Got You, Babe" to his ox.

No.  I guess not.  That song wasn't released back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment