Search This Blog

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Railroads

I have always loved to sit in ferry and railroad stations and watch the people, to walk on crowded streets, just walk along among the people, and see their faces, to be among people on street cars and trains and boats.
~ Ella R. Bloor
- - - - -

Leslie tried to tell me that "hobo" was not politically correct.  I asked what would be politically correct, "Vagrant Train Jumper?"  I also shared with her that I heard once in an interview that the hobo subculture is very violent.

"Why?"  she asked.

"Because, you can't just jump on a train or they'll shank you."

"What does that even mean?  Shank?" 

I explained that a shank is a kind of homemade knife.  Or so I thought.

"Why would they shank you?"

I thought for a moment and replied, "Because they want your stick and bandana."

"That really was politically incorrect," she said disdainfully.

"I'm sorry," I apologized.  "I meant, 'Because they really do want your luggage.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment