Search This Blog

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Violators

A license to practice law is not a license to violate it.
~ Loretta Lynch
- - - - -

I am learning all the time. Recently I was learning about the prison systems and how prison originated - here and other places. I was surprised to learn about the origin of the word "penitentiary." It was one of those things that once I learned it, it made sense, but I had never really given it much thought before.

I wanted to share what I learned, so I went to talk to Leslie. She is the one who usually gets to learn what I learn because she is the one with whom I usually share what I learned.

Anyway, I asked her, "Do you know what the origin of the word 'penitentiary' is?"

She paused. Thought. Then she said, "Is it something to do with 'penis'?"

While the origin that I found was about being penitent, I wonder if she might be on to something here.

No comments:

Post a Comment