Search This Blog

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Language

The development of language is part of the development of the personality, for words are the natural means of expressing thoughts and establishing understanding between people.
~ Maria Montessori
- - - - -

I think that we are bad at communication lately. And by we, I mean the whole entire world. I know there are a few of you who are exceptions, but for the most part we're horrible at this. 

I think one thing we can do to help resolve this is to listen and try to understand instead of just biding our time until it's our turn to talk. Of course some people don't wait, they just interrupt. But my point is to listen.

And if you hear something and you think you misheard or you aren't sure exactly what it was that you heard, I think it's important to clarify instead of just assuming you knew what was said.

Here is a recent example from my own lived experience:


Leslie: You're such a dimwit.

Me: Did you just call me a dimwit?

Leslie: No. I called you an asswipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment