Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Don't

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
~ proverb
- - - - -

My friend Liz sent me this little journal and this little card. I have the card on my dry erase board by my desk at home. I have the journal in the glove compartment of my car in case I need to write ideas down. I assumed - base on the card that came with it - that I am supposed to keep it in my car. Also, it took me forever to find this exact car.

Anyway, I got to thinking about the negativity associated with quotes and proverbs involving the word "don't," and I decided to rework them so they are more positive. 

Don't bite off more than you can chew...   DO bite off less than you can chew.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you...  DO bite the foot that kicks you.

Don't burn the candle at both ends...  DO burn the candle in the middle.

Don't count your chickens before they've hatched...  DO count your chickens after they've hatched.

Don't cross a bridge before you come to it...  DO cross a bridge at the exact time that you come to it.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face... DO not ever cut off your nose.

Don't have too many irons in the fire...  DO have a couple of irons in the fire. Like maybe a poker and a pointy metal cooker thing for s'mores or hotdogs.

Don't judge a book by it's cover...  DO judge a book by its innards.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...  DO ask for a gift other than a horse.

Don't make a mountain out of a molehill...  DO make a mountain out of dirt and rocks.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket...  DO put one egg each in about two dozen baskets.

Don't put the cart before the horse...  Unless it's in the dictionary.

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater...  DO consider not having any babies if the idea of throwing one out with the bathwater even entered your mind ever at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment