Search This Blog

Monday, August 10, 2009

Work



Labor omnia vincit (work overcomes all things) ~ Virgil
I recently have been engaging with a few friends of mine about work and life and worklife and lifework. Every year at about this time, I think about whether or not I am in the right area and doing the right kind of work. Every year at about this time, I can't decide for sure. And every year at just about this time, I decide to keep doing what I have been doing - helping.
It is difficult to be a helper when you are not a particularly caring person, but sometimes maybe the best help is free from care. The most honest help. Maybe.
I am reminded of the fable of the grasshopper and the ant. The grasshopper played and then I guess died and the ant worked and lived. As the quote says, "Work overcomes all things." But what kind of work? Might it not also be true that play overcomes all things? And what if your work becomes play? Isn't that the ideal?
All I know is I wouldn't want to be a grasshopper or an ant.

No comments:

Post a Comment