Search This Blog

Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Student


A teacher influences eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops. ~ Henry Adams

I have had great teachers and I continue to seek out great teachers. The generous who share their ideas without imposing them and who stimulate my thinking with a motivating rather than demeaning pressure. I learn and learn and learn - even when the "teachable moments" have passed.
The challenge is that everyone I know is a great teacher of some lesson. I am disappointed in myself that I do not have the patience to see the lesson everyone has to teach me. I see people around me who refuse to embrace humility. Being humble, being vulnerable to others knowing more, not being the best at things... To me these are not weaknesses, but strengths. The person who thinks he is the best and brightest is neither.

But even in these people there are lessons beyond the obvious ones about ego and arrogance. I just struggle so much to let go of my resentments in order to learn the larger lessons. I refuse to be humble myself in order to allow myself to learn from these different teachers.
English Proverb:
Do not be in a hurry to tie what you cannot untie.

No comments:

Post a Comment