Search This Blog

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dorothea Lange

One should really use the camera as though tomorrow
you’d be stricken blind. ~ Dorothea Lange
-----
So, Elizabeth is reading a book about the dustbowl and the great depression (one of those "little girl in America who experiences history and shares her tale with young readers" books. I don't mean to mock too much, I think they're really good at connecting kids with history).
Anyway, I got excited and started talking to her about The Grapes of Wrath and a few minutes into it I thought, "What am I doing? She's 10 years old. She's not going to put down Fannie Goes West or whatever it was called to read The Grapes of Wrath." So then I just talked to her about Dorothea Lange's photography and how she would probably recognize the image "Migrant Mother" if she saw it.
Elizabeth seemed pretty bored and a little annoyed that I had interrupted her reading, so I told her to enjoy her book and I left her alone.

2 comments:

  1. Glass half full - if you were stricken blind tomorrow you wouldn't be able to see the pictures, no matter how many you took.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean glass half empty. First comment on the brand new blog and I screw it up.

    ReplyDelete