Search This Blog

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Stories

A story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end...
but not necessarily in that order.
~ Jean-Luc Godard
-----

A few days ago, I found myself in a diner eavesdropping (as I am prone to do). Here is the story I heard an old man telling his other old man friends:

So, he was hanging out with me and I figured he must be getting hungry, so I asked him if he was hungry and he said, "No, I'm not hungry, Grandpa." Then - it wasn't more than ten minutes later he said, "Grandpa, I'm STARVING!" So, I took him down to McDonald's to get him a sandwich and told him he could get whatever he wanted. He just ordered a plain hamburger. I told the guy at the counter to throw an extra hamburger in there because I figured he'd be hungry for more than that. Well, he wolfed that burger down in about three bites. I said, "Are you still hungry?" and handed him the other burger. He said, "Yeah, I guess I was pretty hungry. Thanks, Grandpa," and ate that one, too.

Well, he hung in there pretty well with me in the shop and around there. He finally fell asleep in the truck around 2:30.

As I was listening, I thought, what a cute story about this guy and his little grandson.

One of the other old guys said, "So, how old is he now?" And the first guy said, "13."

Then, I didn't think the story was quite as cute as when I was picturing a 5 year old kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment