Search This Blog

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Creating

(photo by Richard Boettcher)

I have an insane belief in my own ability to manifest things.  Insane belief, you know, that - I think it's ultimately complete sanity, but - I believe we create with every thought and every word in every moment is pregnant with the next moment of your life.  This is a fantastic journey that we're on.  It really is.  I mean, I've been challenged by it and it's been really difficult at times, but ultimately it's the last place we'll be able to tell the truth.  And that's what your job is - ultimately.  whether you do it in an abstract way or a real way.  Your job is to tell the truth about humanity.
~ Jim Carrey (on Inside the Actor's Studio)
- - - - -

Dad:  Hi.  Your mother and I have been working on this [juvenile nativity] project for the last 3 weeks.  We made 56 sets of 3 figurines each for the kids in the preschool at our church.  Your mother painted most of them and I cut, sanded and primed them.  I had a bunch of scraps of 1/2" plywood and figured this was better than sending them to the landfill.

Me:  That is really cool, but what preschoolers really like are plaster of Paris sheep so they can eat the heads off of them.  Wait.  Maybe that was just Erik.

I didn't write this to my father, but I think he's right that Baby Jesus would rather that the wood was used to make little nativities instead of being sent to the landfill.  Of course, I'm just speculating.


No comments:

Post a Comment