Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Influence

You don't have to be a person of influence to be influential. In fact, the most influential people in my life are probably not even aware of the things they've taught me.
~ Scott Adams
- - - - -

How we use our influence is a lot like how we use our privilege. If we make a habit of using it to help, to listen, to lift, and to encourage, then it becomes second nature. Actually, I think it becomes first nature. 

If we don't, then we become lousy people by nature. 

It takes work to be happy.
It takes work to be a good person.

A lot of people don't like work very much.

I try not to follow their lead.

Instead, I follow the lead of people like Leslie. People who assume most people are good or at least want to be good. People who help first and ask questions never. People who are constantly seeking to learn and who own the fact that they don't (and will never) know everything. People who don't conflate wisdom with worship or kindness with cult-following. People who do good things because there are a lot of good things that need to be done. I like people like that. Leslie is like that. I like her.

So, I'd follow Leslie just about anywhere. Especially if I'm in the back of the canoe she is paddling.

No comments:

Post a Comment