Search This Blog

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Mannequin

Those who are satisfied to stand still should not complain when others pass them.
~ Proverb
- - - - -

The other day my brother Kirk posted something about having a strong desire to watch the movie "Mannequin." Now Kirk is weird on a number of levels - this being a very small example of that. However, it did get me to thinking about an idea for a new movie.

As I recall (and I haven't seen that movie since it first came out, I don't think), the mannequin in "Mannequin" comes to life. What if they did a more contemporary and factual version about a mannequin that is just a mannequin and does not come to life?

Just to mix it up a bit, I think they could use a male mannequin this time. I don't know why. Maybe it's because mannequins are literally objects and there is already enough objectification of women. Maybe it's just to help separate my version from the 1980-whatever version.

Anyway, my movie would focus on how others experience the mannequin who can't come to life. What does he teach them about themselves? How do they project their issues on him. He isn't really able to do anything about their issues, but he serves as a catalyst for their own explorations.  I suggest that we call the film, "Mannecan't".

I'm sure Kirk will be working on the screenplay soon. If he hurries we can release it in time for the 30th anniversary of "Mannequin". Let's not wait until 2021 for the release to coordinate with the 30th anniversary of "Mannequin II" because - well, I don't imagine there will be nearly the hubbub over that film's 30th anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment