Search This Blog

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Building

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.
~ Anais Nin
- - - - -

"It's not until you can drive nails straight each time you swing your hammer that you will be ready to build a house," the old carpenter told the boy. The boy nodded solemnly because he was a solemn kind of boy and it was olden times when kids listened to old people.

The boy practiced and practiced and practiced. He was not good at first, but he got better. It took time - months, years even. He practiced. 

Once he would get good at driving nails in a certain way, the old carpenter would have him connect boards at different angles. Slowly but surely, the boy got better and better and better.

Then one day, the boy looked up and realized he had indeed built a house. He was so excited and happy. He ran to the old carpenter to thank him. 

"I see what you did, old carpenter! You had me build a house. You had me build a house for myself to teach myself that I could do it. To show me the value of hard work and continued effort. And now I have a house. Thank you, old carpenter. Thank you."

The old carpenter smiled at him and said, "Yes, you have built a fine house." Then the old carpenter grew serious, "But this house is for me. It is payment for all I have taught you. I get to have this house."

The boy was sad, but understood and realized that this was yet another lesson the old carpenter had taught him.

"And one more thing," the old carpenter said. The boy turned - anxious for any additional bit of wisdom the old carpenter might share.

"Don't call me old. It's rude."

No comments:

Post a Comment