Search This Blog

Friday, December 17, 2010

Bowling

Having children is like having a bowling alley installed in your brain.
~ Martin Mull
- - - - -

So, a couple of weeks ago I stumbled upon "Celebrity Bowling" on ESPN Classic. I don't know why, but I had to watch it. Then I found it again recently and watched three episodes before I tore myself away. I just had to know if Leslie Nielsen, Adrienne Barbeau, and Conrad Bain were good bowlers. Conrad Bain definitely was not (if you're interested).

Is it the 1970s clothing? The generally politically incorrect tone Jed Allan established? The interesting prizes the selected home viewer could win (an assortment of clocks, a bacon cooker & other home appliances, a mattress set...)? All of these things and more make it something that I find fascinating.

The truth is, watching it probably just makes me feel better about my own limited bowling skills. Some people watch Jerry Springer (is that even still on?) or other talk/confrontation/judgment shows to feel better about their lives. I watch Celebrity Bowling to feel better about my bowling.

No comments:

Post a Comment