Search This Blog

Monday, January 24, 2011

Graffiti

What we've learned is graffiti ... begets more graffiti.
~ John Urquhart
- - - - -

When I was a kid there was a grocery store in our town. It opened after Smitty's closed. Smitty's closed when Hy-Vee opened. And also maybe because it was called "Smitty's."

Anyway, I don't remember the name of the new store, but it was supposed to be a lot cheaper than Hy-Vee. One of the ways they saved money is that they didn't put prices on anything. You walked around with a black crayon and marked the prices by copying them off the shelves while you shopped. I remember doing some graffiti with the crayons while we shopped there.

I think I don't remember the name of the place because it wasn't open for very long. I don't think it closed because of my graffiti. I think it closed because my town was full of cheats and thieves and liars who wrote down the wrong prices to get their food for cheap. Right, Mom? (If that's your real name!)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I don't remember that! I just remember Fareway coming in. I think Smitty's was a bowling alley before it was a store. My mom worked at the 'old' Hy-Vee and David and I both worked at the new one. It's a family legacy. My children are doomed.

    ReplyDelete