Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Artists

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable,
but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
~ George Bernard Shaw
- - - - -
One of the places I went when I visited Philadelphia was the Rodin museum. This sculpture of George Bernard Shaw was inside. The Thinker was outside. I enjoyed the museum, though there were some creepy pieces there. It looked like much of the art was donated by a couple who had lived in Philadelphia.

I think collecting art is cool, but whenever I see large art collections donated, I wonder where the people kept the art before they donated it. Did they have it on display in their home? Did they have it in storage?

Also, I wonder, given the amount of sculpture at this museum, couldn't they have made a better sign than this?:

1 comment:

  1. I am just disappointed that the Rodan museum didn't seem to more prominently feature that big pterodactyl thingy that fought Godzilla. That would be a good lesson for a museum--how history shows again and again that nature points out the folly of man.

    ReplyDelete