Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Books


Books constitute capital. A library book lasts as long as a house, for hundreds of years. It is not, then, an article of mere consumption but fairly of capital, and often in the case of professional men, setting out in life, it is their only capital.
~ Thomas Jefferson
- - - - -

The other day I was talking about books with my brother.  He said he had read The Golden Compass books.  You might think he meant The Little Golden Books, but you'd be wrong.  They're different.

Anyway, he said something I liked.  He said, he decided to read them because of the religious themes.  But he didn't say he decided to read them...  He said he decided to "sit down with them."  Like they were new friends he was hoping to make. 

I like that.  I think it's a nice way to think about books.  I wonder if he ever thinks about people that way. 


1 comment:

  1. i did not make friends with the golden compass books, despite reading all three of them. mostly because i like daniel craig. however, my loathing of nicole kidman carried over and i thought the books were wildly overrated.

    ReplyDelete