Search This Blog

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Gardening

 Self-discipline is an act of cultivation. It require you to connect today's actions to tomorrow's results. There's a season for sowing a season for reaping. Self-discipline helps you know which is which.
~ Gary Ryan Blair
- - - - -

When I was a kid, our dad used to pay us a penny a minute to pull weeds in the garden.  This was great until I actually did the math.  Then it seemed like a rip off.  It translates today to about $2.42 an hour.  So it WAS a rip off.  Anyway, Erik figured out before I did that if you were lousy at pulling weeds (like you "accidentally" pulled up potato plants or stepped on carrot plants or whatever) you didn't have to weed anymore.

Your punishment was to sit in the shade and do nothing while the rest of us weeded.  Let me tell you something parents, time out is NOT a punishment if a kid has an imagination.  Obviously, Erik did.  He imagined that if he trollumped all the garden plants he wouldn't have to weed anymore.

Man...  if I had saved all the money I earned pulling weeds, I'd have like an extra $22 today.

No comments:

Post a Comment